Expatriate Application

What is Expatriate?

The Expatriate Services Division (ESD), which is part of Malaysia’s Immigration Department, is a one-stop center that provides a customer-centric approach to company registration.

Under the supervision of the Ministry of Home Affairs (MOHA) and the Malaysian Immigration Department, the reclassification of the Employment Pass (Category I, II, and III) will commence as follows:

Types of Passes

Employment Pass (EP)

  • Enables an expatriate to take up employment under a contract of services with an organization in Malaysia. The period of the Pass is determined by the terms of the employment contract, which is valid for up to 60 months at a time.
  • The EP will be issued by the IDM after the Expatriate Committee (EC) has approved it. It is only applicable in Peninsular Malaysia, according to the relevant regulatory agencies.
  • Before entering Malaysia for the first time, the foreign worker must receive an Approval Letter for the justification for working. Applicants who have already reached the country will have 30 days from the date of entry to support the EP sticker.

Dependent Pass (DP)

  • This pass is given to the expatriate’s legal spouse or dependent child (biological, stepchild, or legally adopted) who will follow him or her in Malaysia.
  • The expatriate’s spouse and minor children would be automatically registered to be eligible for this Pass Permission to study in Malaysia will be stamped if the children want to do so on top of the pass If an expatriate partner wants to work, they must follow such conditions.
  • The length of the Pass will be decided by the principal applicant. If, on the other hand, the dependant pass applicant’s passport validity is less than the validity of the dependent pass applicant’s passport. The duration of the Dependent Pass will be determined by the principal applicant’s passport validity.

Long Term Social Visit Pass

This type of Pass is issued to the following person who is accompanying an expatriate while in Malaysia:

  • Parents of Expatriate
  • Parent In-laws of Expatriate 
  • Children / Step-child / Legally adopted child age 18 and above (yet to be
    married and still under the expatriate’s care)

The duration of the Pass will be based on the principal applicant. However, if the passport validity of the applicant of this Pass is less than the principal applicant’s EP, the duration will be based on the applicant’s passport validity. The pass holder is not allowed to engage in any form of paid employment, engage in business or professional occupation.

All applications can be done online at https://esd.imi.gov.my/